Netdrive 3.8.925 crashes Windows Explorer, gets "access denied", not showing folders/files to Synology NAS boxes

Netdrive 3.8.925 crashes Windows Explorer occasionally on connection attempts. Uninstalled / reinstalled twice, but still crashes Windows Explorer occasionally.
Gets “access denied” to one Synology NAS on FTP or Webdav connection attempts through synology.me.
Doesn’t show folders/files to another Synology NAS connected via FTP through synology.me.
All connections worked until a couple weeks ago. Connecting directly to both Synology NAS boxes locally works with all folders/files visible. Connections from synology.me appear good. Forwarded router ports appear open.

Hello.

Thank you for using NetDrive.

Could you attach debug log files to figure out what happened?

After setting the log level to VERBOSE, please reproduce the problem and send us the debug log file :

There is no credential information in the log files.

Sorry for the inconvenience it may caused.

Regards.

I found the issue with “access denied” on one NAS. It was due to an auto-block.

I found the issue with the inability to see files/folders on the other NAS. It was due to a misconfiguration.

Since changing the log level to verbose, the crashes haven’t happened in the same manner. The previous crashes usually occurred when trying to connect to one of the two NAS boxes, closed NetDrive, stopped both NetDrive processes and crashed Windows Explorer. The last two crashes haven’t crashed Windows Explorer, although the last crash appeared to lock things up. Both of the last two crashes caused a pop-up window to appear. I added text of what was occurring and was able to restart NetDrive after the first crash without having to restart the processes or Windows Explorer. On the second crash, I had to reboot. I was in the middle of copying files to one of the NAS boxes and there was also an upgrade occurring for Acronis. Both froze, so I had to reboot. I don’t see a debug log file in the log file folder, at least not with debut in the name. There are over 20 log files in the folder with some being open (indicated on zip attempt). Since I don’t know which ones are pertinent, I’ll send them in this and subsequent emails.

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS916PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.2 is missing)

NetDrive3_MarkMoennig.log (6 KB)

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS916PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.3 is missing)

nd3svc_SynologyDS916PMWM1FTP.log (1.36 KB)

jyyoon
Bdrive Staff

November 12

Hello.

After setting the log level to VERBOSE, please reproduce the problem and send us the debug log file :

How to attach a log file NetDrive
Change Log Level
First, check your settings and change log level to VERBOSE. Go to Settings: [image] Change log level to VERBOSE: [22] Set to DEBUG if you use old version because there is no VERBOSE log level. Get back to DRIVES screen
Changed log level takes effect when you leave SETTINGS screen. Reproduce your problem !
After changing log level you must repeat your steps to reproduce the problem you have. This time it will be logged in relevant log files. Send Log File
Within your driv…

Regards.

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS916PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.0 is missing)

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS916PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.1 is missing)

jyyoon
Bdrive Staff

November 12

Hello.

Change Log Level
First, check your settings and change log level to VERBOSE. Go to Settings: [image] Change log level to VERBOSE: [22] Set to DEBUG if you use old version because there is no VERBOSE log level. Get back to DRIVES screen
Changed log level takes effect when you leave SETTINGS screen. Reproduce your problem !
After changing log level you must repeat your steps to reproduce the problem you have. This time it will be logged in relevant log files. Send Log File
Within your driv…

Regards.

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS918PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.3 is missing)

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS918PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.4 is missing)

nd3svc.log|attachment (64.4 KB)

nd3api_firefox.exe.log (12.1 KB)

ndagent.log (66.6 KB)

nd3api_dopus.exe.log (3.84 KB)

nd3svc_SynologyDS918PMWM1FTP.log (26.9 KB)

nd3api_NetDrive.exe.log (3.84 KB)

nd3api_Explorer.EXE.log (7 KB)

nd3api_ndagent.exe.log (5.86 KB)

jyyoon
Bdrive Staff

November 12

Hello.

Change Log Level
Within your driv…

Regards.

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS918PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.1 is missing)

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS918PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.2 is missing)

jyyoon
Bdrive Staff

November 12

Hello.

Change Log Level
Within your driv…

Regards.

nd3svc_SynoDS916PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log (8.59 MB)

(Attachment nd3svc_SynoDS918PMWM1WebDAVMMPC.log.0 is missing)

That’s all of them, however, quite a few were rejected, essentially anything ending with a number after log.

Hello

There is a error in the log file you attached.

[2019/11/14 10:43:05.827] [ERROR ] [ 13852] [PROTOCOL ] Protocol::CreateDirectoryW >> HTTP 405

The http error 405 means " Method Not Allowed".

I guess your account of NAS doesn’t have enough right access to create folder.

Could you check your NAS?

Regards.

I can’t find that in the current log files. It may be on the log I sent that may be overwritten now. The account on the NAS is a system account and has full read/write access to the destination.

I’m having another problem now. I’ve tried four times today to create an entire backup of my system using Acronis True Image 2020 and no matter what upload options I select in NetDrive (background, on-the-fly or nothing), a file is created in the NetDrive cache location. It appears to be the regular Acronis tibx backup file as if it’s creating the backup on the system disk before actually writing it to the NAS. The problem is that the backup file is way too large for the system disk and stalls halfway through. Trying to stop Acronis and Netdrive only results in both being stuck, either having to kill all processes and services, delete the file or reboot. I don’t see anything else to change in either NetDrive or Acronis.

If you want to attach log files again, please compress the log folder to zip file and attach it.

Did you check webdav server permission in application tab and folder permission in permission tab?

To upload a file lager than the system disk, you can change the cache path to another drive large enough.

note : If you choose on-the-fly option and upload file by explorer, cache is not used.

Regards.

Logs attached.

Yes, webdav server permission in application tab allowed and folder permission in permission tab read/write.

That’s what I thought on the upload options, however, it still creates a temporary file. With background checked/unchecked, on the fly checked/unchecked, a cache file keeps getting created. It gets so large all the space on the system disk is used. I can’t change the cache path to the NAS since there’s an error on connection for the cache not being present. I don’t see any other option in Acronis unless I don’t back up the entire system which is not what is desired. The only thing I found was that by default it uses VSS. I tried turning it off, but it still creates the file. I’ll contact Acronis since it seems to be a characteristic of the new version that didn’t exist in the older version.

nd3log.zip (340 KB)

I’m still waiting on answers from Acronis for why the large tibx file is created, if it can be reduced or redirected. Yesterday, I had two NetDrive disconnects that locked up NetDrive, Acronis and a Windows Explorer window, not all explorer processes like previously. The previous disconnects crashed all explorer processes including the taskbar, having to regenerate explorer using task manager and a cmd window. The disconnects yesterday occurred while searching folders on the Synology drive and deleting some of them along with an Acronis backup. Pertinent log files attached. No crashes today with only Acronis backup.

191116 nd3log.zip (53.1 KB)

Hello.

I reviewed the log files you attached for a long time.

But I could not find strange thing, there is no error in the log files.

I’m not sure what problem is.

“On-the-fly” option is only for explorer.exe when uploading. So you don’t need to set this option because acronis process uploads files.

If you unchecked “Use background uploading” and uploaded files, explorer.exe or process uploading files might be hang for a while.

I think you must use “background uploading”

If there is not another drive enough large for caching, you can’t use NetDrive for uploading or writing because a write cache is needed by processes except for explorer.exe(with on-the-fly option). If you unchecked on-the-fly optoin, explorer.exe needs a write cache, too.

I know acronis backup your whole drive and acronis needs enoghn large cache space.

If it is not met, you may not be able to use NetDrive in this case.

Regards.

The issue with crashing explorer hasn’t been occurring anymore. At first, it crashed explorer including the task bar, then later didn’t crash all explorer processes and now, doesn’t seem to be crashing anything anymore. I’ve since re-installed a number of things including an install/repair of the OS due to inability to resume from hibernate. Possibly all of that fixed what was occurring.

If stopping an Acronis backup, Acronis and NetDrive take an extremely long time to recover (without background uploading). It’s easier to just kill the processes and start over. I’ll set it to background uploading as you suggest to see if that improves the response when needing to stop the backup. Since it only happens when stopping a backup, that part isn’t too annoying. It’s mainly the large file creation that is really getting in the way.

I had tried attaching an external drive with adequate space and redirecting the NetDrive cache to it, however, the issue with the Acronis tibx (copy of the backup) being created in the original NetDrive cache location on the system disk still persists, no matter what setting is used in both NetDrive or Acronis. With respect to that, I presume it doesn’t require a reboot to ensure the cache redirection or does it? I just changed the cache location and tried it, but the large file still gets created in the original location.

I still haven’t heard from Acronis yet. Until I can get an alternative, I can’t back up the one drive that is more than half full since it will exceed the remaining space on the system drive. I’d prefer to use NetDrive and Acronis, but I may have to do something else at least for the drive that is more than half full.

Mark Moennig

Hello Mark Moennig.

Did you remount the drive after changing the cache path?

After changing the cache path, you must remount the drive to apply it.

Regards.

I thought I had, but might not have. I tried again earlier today and made sure I had remounted the drive. The new cache location is working. I used an external drive with more than 1 TB of free space. I presume the issues I’m having probably wouldn’t be as noticeable if it weren’t for the Acronis disk backups I’m making, all being from 1 TB SSD’s, 300 GB, 350 GB and 850 GB space consumed. I presume the files in the cache are present until the files have been transferred to the Synology NAS and deleted after the transfer, with one large backup file being the most noticeable. I presume it wouldn’t be that noticeable if I were just copying the files across using Windows Explorer, deleting each file after it’s transferred. Is that correct? If so, this will work having an external spare drive to use as the cache in order to be able to do disk backups with Acronis.

Mark Moennig

I think you are right.

Please try tocopy manually Acronis files using Windows Explorer.

In addition, if you check “Use on-the-fly uploading in Explorer” option and copy the files by Windows Explorer, NetDrive doesn’t use cache system to copy the files.

Regards.

I had some additional issues with Acronis not ending a backup properly when backing up to the Synology NAS via NetDrive. Some of them would hang at the end, appearing to lock up all three, Acronis, Windows Explorer and NetDrive. I tried today as you suggested, backing up locally to a USB drive using Acronis and then copying them to the NAS via NetDrive. That seems to work much more consistently, faster and doesn’t appear to lock everything up. That will work. Thanks.

Mark Moennig

If you have more question, don’t hesitate to post.

Regards.