Massive Increase in ISP Data Usage Since Installing NetDrive3

NetDrive version: 3.6.571
Windows version: Windows 10 Pro ver. 1803
Dropbox version: 60.4.107
ISP: Cox Communications

On or about October 4, 2018, I purchased and installed NetDrive3 on my Windows 10 Pro desktop computer. I purchased NetDrive3 to facilitate streaming of video files from my Dropbox account to the Plex Media Server installed on my desktop. The NetDrive3 installation went as expected and I am able to successfully stream video files (via Plex Media Server) to my desktop and to my Roku Ultra.

However, after installing NetDrive3 my (download) data consumption from my ISP (Cox Communications) has more than tripled (from about 30 GB per day to about 120 GB per day). I simply can’t afford to consume this much data on a monthly basis. Using NetWorx and NetDrive3 logs I was able to isolate the problem to NetDrive3. Between exactly 4:00 AM and 6:00 AM each day, NetDrive3 UNSUCCESSFULLY attempts to DOWNLOAD approximate 85 GB to 95 GB of data to my computer from my Dropbox account. Why, I have no idea. I do not use my desktop during those hours and I do not recall scheduling any syncing of data during those hours or any other when I installed and configured NetDrive3.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on and how (or if) I can stop it, short of exiting/uninstalling NetDrive3?

I am able to confidentially send whatever logs are required to help me to solve this problem. To whom should I send them?

Hello paul.

Thank you for using NetDrive.
To figure out your issue, set log level to “VERBOSE” in options and check it which process requests file datas from a drive mounted by NetDrie between4 am to 60 am.

Regards.

Can you check your plex media server options?

By default, plex media server scans folder on schedule(maybe begins 4 am), and it will create thumbnails from your video files. That may cause traffic.

1 Like

Just to add to what Alex said. If you have automatic scans and library updates turned on in Plex, that can also add to your bandwidth.

1 Like

I was able to determine that my problem was, in fact, due to Plex Media Server operations running between 4 and 6 AM. I reconfigured Plex and, voila, my problem was solved. Thanks to all for your help.